4 November, 2013
beets and paneer brown rice pulavComments : 4 Posted in : Main course on by : apsara Tags: beets, brown rice, Paneer, Pilaf, pulav, Rice cooker, Turmeric
This is one of the best ways to have brown rice, as nice aromatic red coloured pulav (pilaf) . None of my friends that I have served this to has guessed that it is made of brown rice. It is popular with kids too.
beets (big)- 2
small green chillies- 3
ginger- 1 small bit
garlic- 1 clove
chopped onion- 1/4 cup
paneer cubes- 1 cup
canola oil- 2 tbsp.
brown basmati rice- 2 cups
salt- 2 tsp.
cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, bay leaf- a little bit of each
turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp.
asafoetida powder- 1/2 tsp.
* Peel the beets and shred them in a food processor
* In a pan, add oil, lightly saute spices.
* Add finely chopped ginger, garlic, onion, chilies, saute for a bit and then add beets, potato, blend well.
* Add washed brown rice, salt to the mixture, mix well.
* Transfer to an electric rice cooker, add enough water to just immerse the rice and vegetable mixture. Turn it on to brown rice setting
*Lightly fry paneer cubes in 1 tbsp. of oil. Add to the rice cooker when rice is half cooked.
* Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
4 thoughts on : beets and paneer brown rice pulav
awesome recipe…tried with quinoa instead of brown rice for lunch today…u forgot to add onions in the ingredients list:)
thanks Kripa, for pointing it out!
Thank you. I shall try the recipe. Have a wonderful Sunday!
thank you, Liz. I have everything ready today to try your bread. I’ll let you know how it turns out!