27 January, 2014
tomato and bell pepper brown rice
Tomato rice is a popular Indian dish, easy to make and a great lunch box treat. Very few veggies go with the tomato as well as bell pepper does. Here I present a sattvik brown rice version (sans onion and garlic).
Brown rice is a staple in my house but guests have often not realized that they have had brown rice when served this dish, because of the color and flavor. This would be a great way to introduce whole rice into meals for those who want to make the switch from white rice.
Preparation time: 30 minutes, serves 4.
cooked Laxmi brand brown Basmati rice- 1 cup
Roma tomatoes- 3-4 (preferably not a very juicy variety)
bell pepper- 1/2
frozen peas- a handful
green chillies- 2
curry leaves- a few
tamarind paste- 1/3 tsp.
salt- to taste
turmeric powder- a pinch
asafoetida powder- a pinch
bay leaf- 1
cardamom powder- a pinch
canola oil- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.
* Chop bell pepper, tomatoes in small pieces and slit green chilies lengthwise.
* In pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, cloves, bay leaf, cardamom powder. When the seeds pop add chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida.
* Add bell pepper, cook for a minute. Add tomatoes, peas, salt and turmeric powder and tamarind paste.
* Cook on medium, uncovered, till most of the water evaporates.
* Fluff and cool the cooked brown rice and mix lightly with the above tomato paste along with 1 tsp. of oil.
* Garnish with cilantro leaves and enjoy with yogurt or curry.