10 February, 2014
spicy cabbage brown rice
Here is one more way I’m going to persuade you to eat brown rice, as a spicy cabbage ‘bhath’. This aromatic blend will be a good lunch box idea or when you call a few people home for dinner.
Laxmi brown Basmati rice- 1 cup
cabbage- 1/2 big
potato- 1 (don’t peel if organic)
onion- 1/4 cup
green chilly- 1
curry leaves- a few
bay leaf- 1
cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp.
turmeric powder- a pinch
asafoetida powder- a pinch
red chili powder- 1 tsp.
coriander powder- 1 tsp.
mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp.
salt- to taste
organic canola oil- 1 tbsp.
* Soak the brown rice in some water for 1/2 hour. Drain and soak again for 1/2 hour. Drain and rinse till turbidity disappears. Cook with 1 1/2 cups water in a pressure cooker till it blows one whistle. If there is no time for soaking, cook with 1 3/4 cups of water and allow time for 3 whistles.
* While rice is getting cooked, chop veggies.
* In a pan take oil, add mustard seeds, cloves, bay leaf, asafoetida powder, cardamom powder. When seeds pop, add curry leaves, onions, green chilly, turmeric powder. Cook till onions become translucent.
* Add cabbage, potatoes, salt and chili powder. Cover with lid and cook till tender. Add coriander powder, blend and turn off the heat.
* Spread the cooked rice in a wide vessel and allow to cool. Mix in the cooked cabbage with the addition of some oil if necessary.
* Garnish with cilantro and serve with raita/yogurt.