8 December, 2013
baba ganoushPosted in : Appetizer, side dish on by : apsara Tags: baba ganoush, Pita, Tahini
This side dish requires no stove top cooking, just an hour of baking and then blending all ingredients in a food processor. It is so healthy that I have seen in the Gerson cooking recipes list. The Gerson clinic is where they treat and restore the health of even “terminally” ill cancer patients.
This goes well with whole wheat pita bread
large eggplant- 2
garlic- 5 cloves
freshly squeezed lime juice- 1/2 cup
red chili flakes- 1/4 tsp.
canola oil- a little for brushing
salt- to taste
cilantro/parsley- for garnish
for homemade tahini:
sesame seeds- 2/3 cup
extra virgin olive oil- 1/3 cup
cumin powder- 2 tsp.
* Preheat oven to 375 F. Poke holes with a fork all around the eggplants, brush lightly with canola oil and place in the oven. Bake for 50 min to 1 hour turning the eggplants once halfway.
* After cooling, remove the stem and peel with hands. This is how it looks after peeling and cutting in half.
* Dry-roast sesame seeds till light brown on stove top. Add to a blender with olive oil and give it a whir. Aromatic tahini is ready!
* Add the eggplants, tahini, minced garlic, lime juice, red chili flakes, cumin powder to a food processor. Process till well blended.
* Garnish with coriander and parsley. It is yummy enough to be eaten as a snack all by itself!