6 October, 2014
Cutlets / patties with sprouted black-eye bean and sweet potato (vegan, gluten-free)
A delicious, protein-rich snack in the form of patties or cutlets made with sprouted beans.
I had some leftover black-eye bean sprouts that I had made sundal with, last week. We were tired of eating varieties of sundal for the Navaratri festival, and our taste buds were begging for some other form of snack. Quickly made some cutlets combining them with sweet potato, and they were very tasty with some ketchup.
Roughly, this is what went to make 15 cutlets, along with spices. Simple enough, isn’t it?
Black-eye bean sprouts and sweet potato cutlets
black-eye bean sprouts- 1 1 /2 cup
large sweet potato- 1
grated ginger- 2 tbsp.
cilantro- 1/3 cup
minced onion- 1 tbsp.
salt- to taste
Panko bread crumbs- about 3/4 cup (I used gluten-free bread crumbs)
oil (coconut/org. canola)- for shallow frying
turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp.
red chilly powder- 1-2 tsp.
coriander powder- 1 tsp.
amchur powder- 1 tsp.
1. Peel sweet potato, chop into big pieces. Cook along with beans in a pressure cooker with some water. 2-3 whistles from the pressure cooker should suffice.
2. After cooling, drain excess water and process with chopped cilantro, onion, ginger and spices in a food processor.
3. Make small balls with the mixture. If it is too wet, use some oat flour to thicken. Flatten with hand and coat with bread crumbs on both sides.
4. Shallow fry (both sides) with oil in a pan on medium heat.
5. Allow to cool slightly so that it is not crumbly. Serve with your favorite ketchup or chutney.