6 November, 2013
whole wheat chocolate shortbread
This shortbread is always a winner with kids. Nice crumbly texture with whole wheat goodness.
Preparation time: 25 min for mixing and 22 minutes for baking.
whole wheat pastry flour- 1 cup
cocoa powder- 1/8 cup
powdered sugar- 3/8 cup
salt- a pinch
butter- 1/3 cup
coconut oil- 2-3 tbsp.
vanilla extract- 1 tsp.
1. Using an electric mixer, mix softened butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Combine flour, salt and cocoa powder in another bowl.
3. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet mixture. Knead into a firm dough by adding coconut oil a little at a time.
4. Form little balls with hands and flatten into circles. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake at 325 F in a preheated oven for 20-22 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a rack.
Makes 20-22 cookies. Store in an airtight container.
(adapted from Madhuram’s Eggless Cooking)
9 thoughts on : whole wheat chocolate shortbread
What is Pastry flour? Is it regular Aata?
Harini, pastry flour contains less gluten than regular wheat flour and gives a crumbly texture.
Ok…i am not sure if we get that here… I should check.
Ooh these looks so good!
Did u use unsweetened cocoa powder?
tried this Apsara…the texture and taste was pretty good, except that i found the taste of coconut oil to be a little overpowering…can i use something else instead?
You could just increase the amount of butter and eliminate the oil. I have found that some brands of coconut oil don’t have the overpowering smell.Hope this helps!