29 July, 2014
strawberry cake with coconut-strawberry filling (egg-free, whole wheat)
I made a quick berry cake for the husband’s birthday today. I have posted my kids’ birthday cakes on the blog and I simply had to bake a ‘new’ cake for him this year! It was a cake with very little planning. I decided this afternoon, found a lot of fresh strawberries in the fridge and made this simple two-layer, egg-free cake. It is super moist and nobody believed that there was no refined sugar in it, except for the coconut filling. The strawberries were also very ripe and gave it natural sweetness.
There was no time to prepare regular frosting, and besides, we had not planned a party at all! A can of coconut milk came in handy for the “frosting”. Angie and party goers at Fiesta Friday #26, I hope you still have time to enjoy this dessert!
for cake: (makes one 9″ cake)
whole wheat pastry flour- 1 1/2 cup; 204 g (see notes)
baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp.
baking soda- 1/2 tsp.
salt- 1/2 tsp.
fresh/frozen strawberries- about 10; 130 g
pure maple syrup- 1/2 cup; (see notes)
yogurt- 1/2 cup; 100 g
oil- 1/4 cup; 36 g
vanilla extract- 2 tsp.
for filling and ‘frosting’:
coconut cream- 1/3 cup (from the top of a refrigerated can of full-fat coconut milk)
powdered sugar- 2 tbsp.
strawberry preserves- 4 tbsp.
* Pre heat oven to 350 °F. Chop strawberries into small pieces.
* Line a 9″ pan with parchment paper. Grease sides with oil.
* Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
* In another bowl, combine maple syrup, yogurt, oil, vanilla extract.
* Add dry mixture to wet, fold in the strawberries. Pour batter into pan.
* Bake for 50-55 minutes or till a knife inserted in the center comes clean.
* While baking, prepare the filling by combining coconut cream, powdered sugar, strawberry preserves. Chill till cake is cooled.
* Once the layers of cake are cool, spread the filling on one and place the other layer on top. Add more filling on top and decorate.
1. If whole wheat pastry flour is not available, a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour could be used.
2. Honey could be used in place of maple syrup.
27 thoughts on : strawberry cake with coconut-strawberry filling (egg-free, whole wheat)
The cake looks delicious and so simple! Love the strawberry cream filling. I love using coconut milk in my baking…makes them so soft and moist! Happy birthday to your husband!
Thank you so much, Brandi! I will pass on your wishes. hugs!
Happy birthday wishes to your husband, cake looks too good without sugar, that’s awesome 🙂
thank you, Malar. Hubby’s very happy today to get wishes from my friends. 🙂
awesome idea. Love the coconut cream with strawberry icing.
thank you, Namrata!
Awesome Apsara. …love the combo. …Please do convey B’day wishes to your hubby. ….
I will convey your wishes, Chitra. He’s thrilled about this. 🙂
Lucky husband! Ooh yes! This strawberry cake looks just fabulous! OOoh yes! xxx
thank you, my dear friend! xxx
Good one! Great presentation as well!
a delicious cake! yummy!
Thank you, Simi. Glad you like it!
The cake looks gorgeous Apsara! Happy birthday to your husband 🙂
thank you so much, Naina. Will convey your wishes.
Love it Apsara. Gorgeous looking cake :). Saving your blog on my phone. My reader doesn’t show your posts :(.
That’s strange. But I know we will be in touch somehow, through our common FB links. 🙂 Thank you, Sonal.
Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie | Fiesta Friday #26 | The Novice Gardener
Strawberries are always wonderful for baking!!! I love it… And this one is a keeper recipe 🙂
I am so glad you like it, Shruti!
Delicious strawberry cake:-) my wishes to your hubby
Lovely cake and nice, creative frosting! A cake without sugar is amazing! Birthday wishes to your husband!
Oh my! This meets all of my dessert needs…..yum! Save a piece for me, oh and make it BIG!!!! HAHA! Thanks for sharing the recipe. ♥♥
Do we put the coconut cream mixture after baking the cake and cooling it? Sorry , I didn’t understand the frosting part.
Yes, the frosting goes after the cake is baked and cooled. Let me know how it turns out!