14 November, 2013
whole wheat apricot, carrot and orange cakeComments : 2 Posted in : eggless cakes, snack on by : apsara Tags: Apricot, Carrot, eggless cake, healthy snack, vegan, whole wheat cake
Dried apricots are not as tasty as many other dried fruits and it is best to include it in something sweet to obtain the full benefits of the vitamin A it contains. This is a delicious whole wheat cake with the added flavor of carrots. Vegans may substitute soy yogurt for regular yogurt.
Preparation time: 20 minutes for mixing and about 1 hour to bake.
whole wheat pastry flour- 3 cup (regular whole wheat flour works well too)
raw sugar- 1 1/2 cup
finely chopped dried apricots- 1 cup
grated carrots- 1 to 1 1/2 cup
cinnamon powder- 1 tsp.
baking powder- 2 tsp.
baking soda- 1 tsp.
salt- 1/2 tsp.
canola oil- 1 cup
orange juice- 1 1/2 cup
yogurt- 2 tbsp.
* Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Mix wet ingredients in a bowl.
* Combine dry ingredients in another bowl.
* Add the dry mixture to the wet. Add apricots and stir in the carrots.
* Transfer to a greased 2.2 qt rectangular baking dish.
* Bake at 350 F for 1 hr or till a clean knife inserted in the center comes out clean. With increased amount of carrots, add another 5-8 minutes for completion.
For this amount of batter I got 3 cupcakes in addition to the rectangular cake. It is recommended not to fill a baking dish more than half of its volume.