23 February, 2015
Meatless Monday- In quest of the perfect gluten-free flatbread/ roti
I have joined a group called Meatless Monday Bloggers where we post a vegetarian recipe on Mondays, and here’s my first! Also, as I had promised to bring something for Fiesta Friday #56, here’s my main course dish, albeit a little late. 🙂
Ever since I noticed some gluten intolerance in myself, I have been experimenting with roti/chapatti made with other flours. It is not easy to make a flat bread with no wheat for binding. One flour mix which has been particularly successful is with buckwheat (kuttu flour in India) and oats. A healthy whole grain mix with mashed potato makes a perfect flat bread, just like the regular roti!
Check my fellow blogger Charanya’s recipe for making buckwheat roti.
For general tips on making Indian flatbread, visit this earlier post of mine: making green rotis and some tips.
Buckwheat-oats flatbread (gluten-free, vegan)
Arrowhead Mills buckwheat flour (kuttu flour)- 1 cup + more for dusting
Bob’s Red Mill millet flour- 1 cup
oat flour- 1 cup (I used gluten-free)
potato- 2 small (cooked, peeled, mashed)
psyllium husk– 1-2 tbsp. (optional)
oil- 2 tbsp. + more for plating
warm water- as needed to make dough
salt- to taste
1. Combine flours, mashed potato, salt and psyllium husk in a mixing bowl or stand mixer (with dough hook).
2. Add oil and warm water slowly while mixing to form a firm but kneadable dough. Roll into a ball.
3. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for an hour.
4. Using a silicone non-stick mat and more buckwheat flour for dusting, make circle shaped rotis with a rolling pin.
5. Heat a cast-iron skillet at medium-high and make rotis using these tips.
6. Smear with coconut oil or ghee on the top. Store wrapped in a cloth in an airtight container or in aluminum foil. Serve with a good side dish.
1. The dough can be stored for 2-3 days in the fridge. It makes better rotis with longer refrigeration.
2. I do not use oil for making the rotis but smear with coconut oil after they are cooked.