18 July, 2014
clementine date cake (egg-free, sugar-free, whole wheat)
One simple cake with 2 main ingredients: oranges and date syrup. You don’t even need a blender or a mixer. Makes a nice fruity cake, perfect for a quick evening snack. I’m taking this over to join our friends over at Angie’s blog as we celebrate Fiesta Friday #25. Do check the link for great food ideas! Thank you, Hilda and Julianna for hosting this week’s party.
This is the first time I have used date syrup in a cake; it has the texture of molasses. If date syrup is not available, molasses could be used, instead.
clementine date cake
whole wheat pastry flour- 1 1/2 cup; 204 g (atta/whole wheat flour flour works well too)
clementines- 4 peeled and chopped
butter- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp.)
Date syrup- 3/4 cup (I used Ziyad brand, from the Indian/International market)
baking powder- 2 tsp.
baking soda- 1 tsp.
salt- a pinch
* Preheat oven to 350 °F. Combine flour, baking powder and soda, salt in a mixing bowl.
* Combine date syrup, melted butter in another bowl.
* Mix wet and dry ingredients and fold in the clementines. Batter is ready.
* Pour into a 9″ round pan lined with parchment paper. I used a non-stick pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean.
* Cool and invert the pan to release cake and enjoy. Can be stored outside for 2 days.