15 February, 2014
Cashew pistachio cookies (gluten-free and vegan)- the minimalist’s choice
I do have minimalist ideas often, but this would be a dream come true for a health-conscious baker and a minimalist- making a cookie with just 2 ingredients. Well, here’s a recipe for one, with only nuts and raw sugar. I’m not counting water as an ingredient 🙂
I know you’re thinking “this girl has gone nuts!”
Nutrition experts believe that it is best to consume nuts after “activating” them or soaking them in water for a while. This removes the phytates and tannins which are considered anti-nutrients. The water used for soaking needs to be discarded after that. So, that’s how I prepared the nuts for the cookies.
Sharing this at VVLP 16 at Anne’s blog An Unrefined Vegan.
Grinding soaked nuts after draining the water:
Roll the nut mixture into small balls with hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten. Just like cookie dough!
Cashew pistachio cookies (GF, vegan)
1/2 cup whole raw cashews
1/2 cup raw pistachios
1/4 cup powdered raw sugar/ coconut sugar
a pinch of cardamom powder
1. Soak cashews and pistachios in water for at least 4 hours.
2. Drain water and grind the nuts in a blender along with the powdered sugar and cardamom powder without adding any water.
(Note: It will not grind into a fine paste, but the partially ground nuts in the mix give a nice crunchy texture)
3. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
4. Roll the nut mixture into small balls with hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten into discs.
5. Bake for 18 minutes. Bake for a 2-3 minutes more if you want very crisp cookies. Cool on a wire rack.
1. If you need to add water to grind the nuts, the dough will be sticky. Some cornstarch/ tapioca starch may be added to make it firmer.
2. Any mixture of nuts could be used with this recipe. If raw sugar is not available, brown sugar or confectioner’s sugar would work.
Related post: http://eatingwelldiary.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/gluten-free-maple-millet-press-cookies/
20 thoughts on : Cashew pistachio cookies (gluten-free and vegan)- the minimalist’s choice
Awesome awesome awesome is the word my dear 🙂
oh thanks, Sonal. You won’t believe it, this was an accidental discovery in my attempt to make baked kaju katli! I think it tastes like it too.
you are right Apsara. This recipe is like baked kaju pista katli… resrving it for special occassions!!
yes. Pistachios are expensive too, another reason it has to be occasional 🙂
What an interesting cookie recipe. My mother-in-law loves pistachios, so I think I’m gonna make these for her for her upcoming birthday. Celeste 🙂
sure, Celeste. Let me know how she likes it!
They look great 🙂
They look very scrumptious, Apsara! My MIL always sends me pistachios and my mom always sends me cashews. And I’m a spoiled brat because I sometimes take them for granted and leave them to go rancid. Well, not anymore now with your recipe, so thank you! 🙂
These are just beautiful! Xx
thank you, dear!
Pingback: What I got today- The sunshine award! | Eating Well Diary
Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.
I Like this!
Nice!!! Thank you for the like on my page and follow
thank you for visiting!
Pingback: Virtual Vegan *Linky* Potluck Part 17 | Bunny Kitchen