20 November, 2014
Easy cauliflower stir-fry with Sonal’s homemade kadhai masala powder
Sometime ago, my dear blogger friend Sonal of Simply Vegetarian 777 posted a recipe to make kadhai masala from scratch. A spice mix for any dry curry made in a wok. Her pictures had me drooling! This yummy mix seemed to be so easy to make too, with just regular Indian spices.
I made it at home almost following the exact recipe and have been using it as a quick fix for many vegetables at home. The flavor is perfect!
One particularly good combination is with cauliflower florets and peas. Just steam the cauliflower, toss in a bit of ‘tadka’ or tempering and add the kadhai masala. That’s it! It makes so much difference over having just steamed or lightly cooked veggies. And I’m sure it is way better than store-bought masala (I’ve never bought it, though). Do give it a try!
Cauliflower stir-fry with kadhai masala
cauliflower- 1 medium
frozen peas- 1/2 cup
canola oil- 1/2 tbsp.
mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp.
split or whole urad dal (black gram lentil)- 1/2 tsp.
asafoetida powder- a pinch
turmeric powder- a pinch
salt- to taste
kadhai masala- 1-3 tsp.
Refer to her recipe for kadhai masala.
1. I did not have whole kashmiri chillies, so I used kashmiri chilly powder. She has suggested to use paprika if it is not available.
2. I used a coffee grinder/spice grinder for the mix.
1. In a wide pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal and asafoetida. When the seeds sputter, add washed cauliflower florets, green peas and salt.
2. Close with lid and cook till veggies are tender. Another option is to add steamed cauliflower to the tempered spices.
3. Stir in kadhai masala. Garnish with cilantro.